As a child I was not a huge fan of Bread and Butter Pudding. I think it may have been because back then the only Bread and Butter Pudding was made with sultanas and if there is one food I cannot stand, it’s them. So I would forfeit dessert if it was ever served.
A few years ago I was reading a magazine and stumbled across a recipe for Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding so I thought I would substitute the fruit bun for the chocolate or mocha ones you can get now. It was delicious! Since then I have become a fan and have searched for all the different variants of the puddings. I even stumbled across one last night that used peanut butter 😛
I had a loaf of Breadtop coconut bread in the fridge so I searched the net for inspiration and came up with this recipe that even the Husband gave the thumbs up too.
White Chocolate & Berry Bread & Butter Pudding
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of castor sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup of cream
- 6 slices of bread of your choice – I used Breadtop Coconut Bread
- 1 tablespoon low-fat spread
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries (or any berry you like)
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk together in a bowl.
- Spread both sides of bread slices with spread. Cut slices in half diagonally to make triangles. Layer bread, in rows, in a 6cm – deep, 22cm x 13cm (base), 4 cup-capacity oven proof dish. Sprinkle with berries and chocolate. Pour over egg mixture.
- Place dish in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up the side of smaller dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and just set. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
~ Enjoy ~
*Note: if you don’t want to use cream you can replace the it with more milk.