I dropped the Husband off to the airport last night and mentioned to him that every time I go away I always stock the pantry and the fridge with enough food and drink so he doesn’t have to think about what to eat. Yet every time he goes away I have to fend for myself, to which he replied that I was quite welcome to stop off at Subway on the way home 😮 How nice of him. I would have been a bit more appreciative of his so-called sympathy had he said something with may be a restaurant attached to its name.
So, in the dark and cold I made my way to the supermarket to grab a few ingredients to last me the next few days…even a month 😛
I felt like something hearty, yet easy so I thought I would make carbonara for the first time in my life. I was actually quite surprised how easy and quick it was to make as well as tasty.
6 Rashers of Bacon, thinly sliced
4 – 5 Button Mushrooms, sliced
3 Egg Yolks, beaten
Spaghetti, enough for 2 people
Cracked Black Pepper
Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Fill a large saucepan with water and add a pinch of salt
2. Bring to boil and add spaghetti
3. Heat oil in pan over medium heat and fry the bacon and mushrooms
4. Once cooked, set aside
5. When spaghetti is cooked al dente, remove from heat and drain reserving the liquid
6. Immediately add the pasta back to the saucepan and place on very low heat
7. Stir the beaten egg yolks in to the spaghetti and add sufficient reserved liquid to make a creamy sauce
8. Add the bacon and mushroom mixture and stir to combine
9. Serve while hot and garnish with cracked black pepper and grated parmesan cheese
~ Enjoy ~
You can also use Fettucini instead of Spaghetti and add Cream if desired.